Friday, August 19, 2011

Trust, Hope, Pray

One of the themes of adoption is certainly WAIT.  There are many uncertainties tied to the timeframe among other things. The focus tends to be on waiting on a person, on finances, or on the next approval or piece of paper. In reality we are waiting on the Lord. He is sovereign and all of those things are in His control. We want to trust the Lord, rest in hope, and grow in our prayer lives through this process.

The end of last week this book was brought to my attention: Trust, Hope, Pray by Luke and Tricia Priebe.

It was written by this couple as they were on their adoptive journey, but it is not just for those who are adopting. It is a 365 day devotional with each scripture focus containing one of the title words: trust, hope, pray, or wait. As I talked to a friend the other day who is waiting to leave for the mission field, we reflected on how many in our circle of friends are waiting for one big thing or another. It is certainly a theme of life. Maybe this book would be an encouragement to you in whatever you are waiting for.

I know I am not a good "waiter." Patience is not one of my better virtues. I like to be in control, know what to expect, and get things done in a timely manner. I feel like we've been waiting a lot during this adoption process already, partially because we thought and prayed about it so long before we even began. And we're only just started with the waiting. I want to wait well - with my focus on the Lord and with trusting, hoping, and much prayer, rather than with frustration and impatience, which come so naturally.

Here is a quote from Day 1 of the book:
No matter the circumstance, the sovereign will of God has ordered our steps - yesterday's, today's, and tomorrow's. And while that knowledge doesn't clear the pathway of thorns or pitfalls, or promise a trail of uncompromising ease, it enables us to walk with confidence on the path God has chosen for our lives, knowing our good guide is in full control.

And these verses at the end of the page seemed meant just for us, as they fit so well with the theme of mercy that goes along with our journey:
Psalm 123:1-2 Unto thee lift I up mine eyes, O Thou that dwellest in the heavens. Behold, as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait upon the Lord our God, until that He have mercy upon us.





2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Sounds like a great book & yeah, waiting = the universal theme :-)

Amy said...

Steph!!! Great book! Wish I would have had it two years ago when we started this crazy ride!! Welcome to the CHI family!! I will love keeping up with your progress :-) Amy