Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Taste of Ethiopia

While we were in Indianapolis we got to try our first Ethiopian food. Abyssinia is owned by an Ethiopian couple that moved to Indy about ten years ago.


We sat at a little round table. They bring out a big platter covered with injera (a spongy bread). On the injera is a variety of stews. Starting with the yellow stuff at the top and going clockwise, this is what we had: yellow beans, spinach, beef, lamb, and chicken. Lentils are in the center. The lamb was our favorite and the vegetables.


You get another plate of injera to use to kind of scoop up the food.


Like this...


Then you kind of roll it up and stick it in your mouth. Our server offered us forks after we'd tried some, but we stuck with our fingers!


Overall, we liked it. They gave us some "mild" and some "a little spicy." We thought the "mild" was a little spicy, and the "a little spicy" was pretty spicy.


Overall, it was a great first taste of Ethiopian food! We are looking forward to more in the future!


I wish I would have taken more pics of the decor and of our server (who is also the owner).

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Fun! I would love to try that. It kind of reminds me of the Indian way of eating - wrapping everything drippy up in some bread :-)

Steph said...

It was fun!

Evan said...

Wait till you get to Ethiopia-the food is amazing!!!! Thanks for stopping by our blog! I look forward to following your family as we both grow our families through the beautiful blessing of adoption. Who knows maybe we will travel together!?!

Melissa said...

So fun! I love Ethiopian food! Wait til you have it in Ethiopia it taste so much better and it is not really spicy. I am not a spicy person so it says a lot! It is so nice to "meet" you. I look forward to following your journey!