Monday, November 7, 2011

Orphan Sunday

Yesterday was Orphan Sunday. Last year we were asking God if  He was calling us to adopt. We are so excited for how far He has brought us this year. There was another referral from our agency this week, so now we are number


We spent some time yesterday having our "Orphan's Table" meal from Christian Alliance for Orphans, spending some time looking at what God's Word says about orphans and adoption, and praying for those millions of children who need families.

Keith and I sang "I'm a Child of the King" last night in church. I love the third verse.

I once was an outcast, stranger on earth,
A sinner by choice and an alien by birth.
But I've been adopted, my name's written down,
An heir to a mansion, a robe and a crown.
(Chorus:)
I'm a child of the King, a child of the King,
With Jesus my Savior, I'm a child of the King.

So thankful that God loved me and adopted me as His child! And I'm so thankful He has given us the privelege of taking this wonderful journey of adoption, and for the picture it is of our spiritual adoption.

I thought I'd share a couple of  blog posts I read today. Lara just brought her son home from Uganda and I just love her post on When Orphans Become Sons. Also, love this post from Growing by Two Feet.

Even though Orphan Sunday is over (though all of November is National Adoption Month :) I hope you'll think about how you can get involved. Here are some ideas:

Pray - Pray for orphans in this country and worldwide, for those who are ministering to them, for adoptive families you know, for God to give you a vision for the fatherless.

Give - Help a family that is adopting or an organization that ministers to orphans (there are lots of good ones). Or purchase some Christmas gifts from organizations or adoptive families that are raising funds (I hope to post more about this later.)

Encourage - Know a foster family or a new adoptive family? Take them a meal, send them a note, let them know you're praying for them.

Get Involved - Have you ever asked God if He would have you adopt or provide foster care? Be willing to step out in faith if He is leading.

The possibilities are endless if we're willing!


Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. James 1:27

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for the great reminder to do what we should, Steph. I think we sometimes forget that the most important first part is to just be willing - willing to do whatever God may ask.
Congrats on the #74!!!
BTW, I got some coffee & I love it :-)