Monday, May 23, 2011

A Sigh of Relief

Well, I obviously am not a real faithful blogger, seeing that it's been a month since I posted. It has been a busy time - two more homestudy visits, finishing school for the year, preparations for camp, my get-together with college friends.  All good, but busy nonetheless.

So, our second homestudy visit consisted of separate interviews with Keith and myself. We both decided we are not complicated people and neither of us are that great at being introspective. She told us that she that we (and are families) are pretty "normal" after talking with us. I think she meant that as a compliment.:)

Our third visit was on Tuesday. She spent a few minutes interviewing the boys (they did great) and then it was a marriage and parenting assessment for us. Everything went fine, though it was still a relief when it was all done.

As we finished, our social worker, Maria, said "Now that wasn't so bad was it?" It really wasn't. She was unintimidating and easy to talk to, which was a blessing. I told her that and she told us she can be intimidating when she needs to, but if people have nothing to hide there is nothing to be afraid of. True.

All said and done, the homestudy process was a good experience. I'm very good at imagining things to be much worse than they are. We learned about ourselves and talked through things we hadn't necessarily thought of before regarding our adoption. Still,  we both breathed a sigh of relief when it was over!

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

So glad that I was there that day & could see your relief after it was over :-) Another step completed! Yeehaw!

Debbie Moore said...

I'm convinced that 90%of the things we worry & fret over never become a reality. If we could just learn to avoid that step it would be great. Something we will all be working on util the Lord calls us home, I'm sure.